Conversion Parts Kit for Subaru 2.0L, 2.2L & 2.5L Turbo into a Manual Transmission Vanagon
A complete kit of parts to convert your Vanagon to a smooth, powerful, and more reliable Subaru turbo powerplant. This kit is a matched and proven set of parts that takes the worry out of building a Subaru powered Vanagon. No scouring the internet, fabricating parts, and worrying about whether muffler “A” will fit with bracket “B”. You will be rewarded with a finished conversion that looks and drives better than the original in every way - like it came from the VW-Subaru factory!
Why should you buy our parts?
- We install, service and personally use what we sell. After building over 300 Subaru powered Vanagons, we have learned a lot about how to make them run well. From cooling systems to wiring harnesses, we have designed our products to get your Vanagon conversion up and running quickly and keep it performing well for years.
- Our parts allow you to install a Subaru engine and lose nothing of the original Vanagon's utility and great design. This includes having great ground clearance without the exhaust and other components hanging down below the engine, the ability to refit the Syncro skid plate, and built-in support for the muffler.
- Our cooling system has been refined to perform better than anything else available. Simple, easy to bleed, and a heater system that works at least as well as the original.
- It can be difficult to find all the right parts to make your Subaru powered Vanagon come to life. When you purchase our parts, we help your project come together quickly and successfully. For those who choose to buy a complete package from us, expect prompt, accurate replies to your questions. No one else offers anything close in design, performance, and support.
This kit includes:
- Exclusively from Small Car, aluminum alloy bellhousing complete with integrated slave/release bearing.
- All stainless steel heliarc welded header with great ground clearance and HD flanges
- Gaskets: header to engine
- Small Car’s powder coated engine mount with mounting hardware - specify Syncro when ordering
- Heavy duty muffler mounts and stainless clamps - specify muffler diameter when ordering
- Accelerator cable kit
- Coolant hose kit with clamps and stainless inlet and outlet pipes - designed for reversed coolant manifold
- Coolant reservoir bracket
- Small Car’s harness modification kit: our do-it-yourself diagrams and guide (not shown)
The following should be purchased if you have a 1980-1985 Vanagon:
The following optional parts are recommended for the models indicated:
- All Subaru engines from automatic: flywheel and bolts, manual transmission Subaru starter, timing belt guide
- All Subaru engines with oil cooler: oil cooler delete filter union
- All installations: aluminum oil pan - for better oil capacity with stock ground clearance (also allows refitting of the Syncro skid plate)
- Any Subaru engine in any Vanagon: flexible dipstick - allows checking of oil level from license plate door
- All Vanagons: inner and outer engine mounts
- Any Vanagon as needed: stainless steel exhaust
- Installations with VVT Subaru engines: fuel pressure regulator
- 1986-1991 Vanagons with 1999 and later Subaru engines or anywhere a 7,000/8,000 RPM redline is desired: tachometer unit and gauge face
- For 1996-2011 engines: interface board to eliminate 7-8 common ECU fault codes
- All power steering equipped Vanagons: power steering pressure hose or a quiet power steering pressure hose
- All Subaru engines: speed sensor kit
- All 2.0L WRX engines and most 2.2L Turbos: Stage 2 clutch kit
- For 1996-2011 Subaru engines: ScanGauge II Driving Computer or ScanGauge III Driving Computer
- All engines over 180HP should consider a transmission upgrade - Please call to discuss
This kit is to install the following engines:
- All Subaru 2.2L Turbos
- All Subaru 2.0L Turbos
- Some 2.5L Turbos*
* Note that some years/models may require a modified harness and ECM from Small Car. See the latest Subaru engines
Please note: While many orders ship within 48 hours, this item may require up to 15 days to process from your order date. If we cannot ship within 15 days, we will inform you by email or phone. For this item, which ships in more than one box, we will ship a partial order unless you specify otherwise.