Build your dream Syncro!
Do you have a desire for a Syncro Multivan? Or how about a Syncro Carat? Even though VW never built these particular Vanagon combinations doesn't mean you can't have one. We can do it!
Syncro Westfalias have also reached a price point where building one from a 2WD Westy is now becoming cheaper than buying one!
One of the important aspects of this conversion is that it results in a Vanagon that looks and functions just like an original all wheel drive Syncro - of course even better with a Subaru engine!
How it's done
We start with a Syncro donor and remove all the parts to build your Vanagon. This includes the following:
- Fuel tank and filler neck including fuel filler surround
- 5-speed transmission
- Front differential
- Front suspension and subframe
- Rear springs and shocks
- Skid plate and driveline protectors if present
After removing the Syncro components from your donor van they will be installed onto your 2WD van making it a four wheel drive. Once all the Syncro components have been installed we will refil all fluids and your van will be ready to take on some Syncro terrain.
- Conversion of your waterboxer engine to Syncro specifications (not necessary if we're doing a Subaru conversion).
- Conversion to a manual transmission if your Vanagon is an automatic - would include pedal assembly and shift linkage installation but engine related components are not included
- Note that the Syncro donor parts are sold in exchange for the parts removed from your Vanagon. Please ask for a quote to retain your old parts like the transmission for example.
There are many upgrades you can do during your Syncro conversion. Some of these are listed and linked below.
- Rebuild Syncro transmission + needed shafts & gears
- Install limited slip in transmission
- Front and rear brake upgrades
- New driveline
- Powder coat front suspension parts
- Decoupler (allows 2WD operation)
- Performance shocks and springs
- New CV joints, ball joints, tie rod ends or wheel bearings
- New front suspension bushings
- A/C recharge or conversion
- Convert waterboxer into a Syncro engine