TYPE 2 BUS CONVERSIONS
ABOUT THE CONVERSIONS
In addition to Subaru conversions on Vanagons, we also do Subaru conversions on the Bay Window VW Buses. We offer these conversions with the 4-cylinder Subaru engines, 2.2L and 2.5L. These engines range from 135 to 173 HP. More importantly, the reliability and sense of comfort the engine will provide you with is invaluable. We most often recommend late-model (2006-2012) Subaru 2.5L engines. Here are a few reasons why we love these engines:
- The 170 HP 2.5L has great torque throughout the RPM range
- Minimal maintenance requirements
- Fits beautifully in the engine compartment
- Great fuel mileage while increasing power
- Subaru reliability
- Simple servicing with OBD2 port and great parts availability
A PERFECT FIT
As you can see above, a 2.5L Subaru engine fits perfectly into the engine bay and even has some room to spare. We go to great lengths to ensure that our engines not only fit and run well, but look like they're meant to be there. This involves clever bits of engineering that means we actually adapt the engine to the Bus rather than adapting the Bus to the engine. No cutting is needed on the 1972 and later Bus, minor engine bay enlargement for the 1971 and older.
CONVERSION PRICING & INSTALLATION
The cost to convert a 1968-1979 Type 2 is $15,975 plus the engine cost.
Transmission modifications may be recommended depending on the year and transmission type.
2010 - 2012 2.5L Rebuilt - 0 miles - $7495
All engines above have a one year warranty on all internal parts and 90 days on externals.
- Conversion Parts & Labor
- Stainless Steel Header
- Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Radiator and fans
- Small Car Aluminum Oil Pan
- New Engine Matched Clutch, Pressure Plate & Release Bearing
- Aluminum Bellhousing (for manuals)
- Powder Coated Engine Mount
- New Rubber Engine Mounts
- Heavy-Duty Stainless Muffler Supports & Clamps
- Flexible Tubular Dipstick
- Coolant temperature gauge
- Heat system with real heat
- Modified Subaru ECU Harness
- Intake & Air Filter System
- Engine Fluids
NOW AVAILABLE, AIR CONDITIONING FOR YOUR BUS!
Our partnership with Vintage Air has allowed us to build a system compatible with the VW Buses, and can even include climate control options. Check out our Dash Air Page for the features of this system.
- Transmission rebuild & gearing changes
- Manual to automatic conversion
- Limited slip differential
- Front disc brake upgrade
- Auxiliary battery with outlets & USB
- Gauges: lots of options
- High torque starter for automatics (on our recommendation)
- Air conditioning with or without climate control
- HD front sway bar
- Wheels and tires
- Propex heater
- Comfortable modern seats with armrests
HOW IT WORKS
Once you decide the Subaru engine you would like to use, we take an initial deposit to cover the cost of the engine. Upon arrival of your bus, a 50% deposit is required with the balance due upon completion of work. The whole job generally takes about a month depending on options. A 500 mile service is free in our shop and is strongly suggested.
Out of state residents ask about our Oregon delivery to save on sales tax.
We do have a $15/day storage charge after work is completed.
For all new parts, we have a one year warranty. Engines have a one year warranty on internal parts and 90 days on externals. Extended warranties may available on some parts manufactured by us. If the vehicle cannot be returned to us for warranty service, repairs at another location should be authorized with us before the repairs are completed. Diagnosis is covered only when performed in our shop.
Check out some of our bus photo albums for examples of our work.