A superbly engineered kit of parts to convert your Vanagon to a smooth, powerful Subaru powerplant. This kit is a matched and proven set of parts that takes the worry out of building a Subaru powered Vanagon. No scouring the internet, fabricating parts, and worrying about whether muffler A will fit with bracket B. You will be rewarded with a finished conversion that looks and drives better than the original in every way.
Why you should buy our parts.
We install, service and personally use what we sell. After building over 300 Subaru powered Vanagons, we have learned a lot about how to make them run well. From cooling systems to wiring harnesses, we have designed our products to get your Vanagon conversion up and running quickly and keep it performing well for years. Our parts allow you to install a Subaru engine and lose nothing of the original Vanagon's utility and great design. This includes having great ground clearance without the exhaust and other components hanging down below the engine, the ability to refit the Syncro skid plate, and built in support for the muffler.
Our cooling system has been refined to perform better than anything else available. Simple, easy to bleed, and a heater system that works at least as well as the original.
It can be difficult to find all the right parts to make your Subaru powered Vanagon come to life. When you purchase our parts, we help your project come together quickly and successfully. For those who choose to buy a complete package from us, expect prompt, accurate replies to your questions. No one else offers anything close in design, performance and support.
Included in this kit
- Exclusively from SmallCar, aluminum alloy bellhousing complete with integrated slave/release bearing; read about its advantages here
- New 321 stainless steel header
- Gaskets, header to engine
- Powder coated engine mount with mounting hardware (specify Syncro when ordering)
- Heavy duty stainless muffler mounts and stainless clamps (specify muffler diameter when ordering)
- Accelerator cable kit
- Coolant hose kit with clamps (designed for reversed coolant manifold)
- Coolant reservoir bracket
- Harness modification kit - our do-it-yourself diagrams and guide (not shown)
- Discounts on aluminum oil pan, interface board and harness modification when ordered with the kit
- 1986 and later coolant reservoir
- 1986 and later style exhaust connector, J pipe
- 1983-85 original front-rear coolant pipes will require 1 hose reducer.
The following optional parts are recommended for the models indicated:
- All years of Vanagon and all years 2.2 or 2.5L engines - reversed coolant manifold & heater pipe
All power steering equipped Vanagons - power steering hose
All engines - speed sensor kit
Installations with 2000-2011 Subaru engines - intake hose kit
Installations with VVT Subaru engines - Fuel pressure regulator
- All Subaru engines - clutch kit
- All Subaru engines from automatic - Flywheel and bolts, M/T Subaru starter, timing belt guide
- All Subaru engines with oil cooler - Oil cooler delete filter union
- All installations - Aluminum oil pan for better oil capacity with stock ground clearance (also allows refitting of the Syncro skid plate)
Any Subaru engine in any Vanagon, allows checking of oil level from license plate door - Flexible dipstick
Vanagon Syncros, to extend the original skidplate - SPE skid plate material
Any year Vanagon - New rubber engine mounts
All drive by wire engines - Crossbar spacer
- For 1995 and later engines oxygen sensor bung for 2nd sensor
For 1996-2011 engines Interface board to eliminate 7-8 common ECU fault codes
For 1996-2011 engines ScanGauge II driving computer
The 025MTCOMP kit is to install the following engines:
Subaru Legacy 2.5L 1996-2012 *
Impreza 2.5L normally aspirated 1998-2011 *
Forester 2.5L normally aspirated 1998-2010 *
Into a: 1983 1/2 to 1991 manual transmission Vanagon including Syncro.
Please note: While many orders ship within 48 hours, this item may require up to 15 days to process from your order date. If we cannot ship within 15 days, we will inform you by email or phone. For this item, which ships in more than one box, we will ship a partial order unless you specify otherwise.