Available for all Vanagons, Dash A/C ! - (Our dedicated Dash AC page also has lots of information!)
10/15/2015 - Now has a redesigned air box with relocated servos for a much better fit inside the dash.
For years, Vanagon owners have suffered with air conditioning that was marginal. Westfalias are the worst because the A/C outlets are just above the rear passenger's heads and so the best you can hope for in the driver or passenger seat is to have cool air blowing at the back of your head.
We now have a great solution that gives you heat and A/C at the dash outlets, the floor and the defrost vents. Two additional rectangular vents are installed in the dash face and can be aimed where you want them.
Unlike the Vanagon original, but like most all modern cars, the system has air blending control so you can control the temperature of the air flow for comfort year-round. The output, whether heat or A/C, can be directed to the floor, defrost or the dash outlets. The system is capable of excellent defrosting using the evaporator to remove moisture.
The full glove box remains available for your storage as does the ash tray.
All the controls including the temperature and the fan speed are infinitely variable. We have endeavored to design a system that betters the original and still looks like it might be a factory installation. This system recirculates inside air so no outside pollution or odors can enter unless you choose to open a window. We also sell a climate control option separately if desired.
We are offering this kit complete with all the parts to do the job yourself except for the refrigerant lines, the compressor and condensor. If you have the factory A/C, the condenser in front of the radiator can be reused, as can the A/C compressor if it is in good condition. The refrigerant hoses necessary for the A/C system will vary by vehicle and engine/compressor type.
Included in this kit
- Plenum unit with fan, evaporator and heater core
- Variable controls for air temp, fan speed and air direction
- Wiring with electronic control unit and relays
- New powder coated dash face
- Three control knobs and custom faceplate
- Electric heater valve
- Two additional louvered vents for dash (similar to the OEM vents)
- Hose for heater core, heat and dash vents and defrost
- Adapters for defrost vents
- Cover for original air intake and bracket for plenum mounting
- Extension for radio antenna with right side radio option
Specify radio location when ordering. Options are right side above glove box or original center location. Center location will require a shorter mechless radio.
Now available: Dash face with holes for power window switches - either center or right side radio location.
Parts not supplied
Basic hand tools
Drill and bits
Small abrasive disc cutoff tool or similar for cutting dash
Wire connector crimper, wire stripper
Basic synopsis of the instructions.
- Remove dash complete
- Remove the original heat/fresh air box
- Remove radio and lengthen wires for radio relocation
- Remove cables and controls for original heat and fresh air
- Mark dash for cutting holes for radio and air outlets
- Drill dash for face mounting bolts
- Fit and install screws to attach fresh air cover plenum mounting bracket
- Clearance underside of dash and install defroster adapters and hoses
- Mount plenum unit and wire to power and to heater control valve
- Install control switches and power outlets
- Install plenum hoses for dash outlets
- Fit hoses for heater valve and heater core
- Install hoses for A/C
- Reinstall dash and connect dash outlets
- Install faceplate and knobs
- Calibrate controls
- Charge system
- Enjoy your climate controlled Vanagon !