2WD TO SYNCRO CONVERSIONS
BUILD YOUR DREAM SYNCRO!
Do you have a desire for a Syncro Multivan? Or how about a Syncro Carat? Even though VW never built these particular Vanagon combinations doesn't mean you can't have one. We can do it!
Syncro Westfalias have also reached a price point where building one from a 2WD Westy is now becoming cheaper than buying one!
One of the important aspects of this conversion is that it results in a Vanagon that looks and functions just like an original all wheel drive Syncro - of course even better with a Subaru engine!
HOW IT'S DONE:
We start with a Syncro donor and remove all the parts to build your Vanagon. This includes the following:
- Fuel tank and filler neck including fuel filler surround
- 5-speed transmission
- Front differential
- Front suspension and subframe
- Rear springs and shocks
- Skid plate and driveline protectors if present
After removing the drive train and suspension from your 2wd Van, the Syncro front subframe is installed using laser cut plates that duplicate the original Syncro mounting points. After this work is completed, areas of unprotected metal are painted with a rust encapsulating paint. The Syncro fuel tank is then installed along with the associated brackets and clamps.
The cost to perform the Syncro conversion from a 2WD manual Vanagon will include the cost of a donor Syncro. This can be supplied by you or us if we have one available.
- Complete Syncro front subframe and suspension
- All shocks and springs
- Syncro fuel tank and fuel filler
- Syncro transmission, front differential, and driveline
- All fluids including performance transmission and differential gear oils
- Conversion of your waterboxer engine to Syncro specifications (not necessary if we're doing a Subaru conversion).
- Conversion to a manual transmission if your Vanagon is an automatic - would include pedal assembly and shift linkage installation but engine related components are not included
- Note that the Syncro donor parts are sold in exchange for the parts removed from your Vanagon. Please ask for a quote to retain your old parts like the transmission for example.
- Rebuild Syncro transmission + needed shafts & gears
- Install limited slip in transmission
- Front and rear brake upgrades
- New driveline
- Powder coat front suspension parts
- Decoupler (allows 2WD operation)
- Performance shocks and springs
- New CV joints, ball joints, tie rod ends or wheel bearings
- New front suspension bushings
- A/C recharge or conversion
- Convert waterboxer into a Syncro engine
Finally got to try the Syncro in the snow at home Saturday instead of just my muddy construction job sites. Driving up snowy, curving roads, no problem. The new transmission is like the trans the van had when I bought it new. Nice, crisp, solid and quiet, and It matches the work you did. If you need a sterling reference let me know. Ken
Want to know more about payment and warranty information?
SMALL CAR'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS