2WD TO SYNCRO CONVERSIONS
BUILD YOUR DREAM SYNCRO
Do you have a desire for a Syncro Multivan? Or how about a Syncro Carat? Since VW never built these particular Vanagon combinations, it has to be built for you, and we can do it!
Syncro Westfalias have also reached a price point where building one from a 2WD Westy now might be cheaper than buying one!
One of the important aspects of this conversion is that it results in a Vanagon that looks and functions just like an original all wheel drive Syncro! Better of course with a Subaru engine.
HOW IT'S DONE
We start with a Syncro donor and remove all the parts to build your Vanagon. This includes the following:
- Fuel tank and filler neck including fuel filler surround
- 5-speed transmission
- Front differential
- Front suspension and subframe
- Rear springs and shocks
- Skid plate and driveline protectors if present
After removing the drive train and suspension from your 2wd Van, the Syncro front subframe is installed using laser cut plates that duplicate the original Syncro mounting points. After this work is completed, areas of unprotected metal are painted with a rust encapsulating paint. The Syncro fuel tank is then installed along with the associated brackets and clamps.
CONVERSION PRICING & INSTALLATION
The cost to perform the Syncro conversion from a 2WD manual Vanagon is $9,475 plus the cost of a donor Syncro. This can be supplied by you or us if we have one available.
SYNCRO DONORS AVAILABLE:
1987 Syncro with diff lock- $8750
- Complete Syncro front subframe and suspension
- All shocks and springs
- Syncro fuel tank and fuel filler
- Syncro transmission, front differential, and driveline
- All fluids including performance transmission and differential gear oils
- Conversion of your waterboxer engine to Syncro specifications (not necessary if we're doing a Subaru conversion).
- Conversion to a manual transmission if your Vanagon is an automatic - Add $1500 (Includes pedal assembly and shift linkage installation but engine related components are not included)
- Note that the Syncro donor parts are sold exchange for the parts removed from your Vanagon. Please ask for a quote to retain your old parts like the transmission for example.
- Rebuild Syncro trans - $3895 + shafts & gears needed
- Install limited slip in transmission - $1295 + labor if not rebuilding unit
- Front and rear brake upgrades - $949 front $949 rear
- New driveline - $399
- Powder coat front suspension parts $750
- Decoupler (allows 2wd operation) - $1200-1500
- Performance shocks and springs - $975
- New CV joints, ball joints, tie rod ends or wheel bearings
- New front suspension bushings
- AC recharge or conversion - Call for quote
- Convert waterboxer into a Syncro engine - Call for quote
Finally got to try the Syncro in the snow at home Saturday instead of just my muddy construction job sites. Driving up snowy, curving roads, no problem. The new transmission is like the trans the van had when I bought it new. Nice, crisp, solid and quiet, and It matches the work you did. If you need a sterling reference let me know. Ken
Before arrival of your Vanagon we generally get a deposit of approximately the syncro donor value to acquire and prepare the parts. Upon delivery of your Vanagon for the installation work, a 50% deposit is required, with the balance due upon completion of the work. There is a $15 per day storage fee after 5 days unless prior arrangements are made.
For all new parts, we have a one year warranty. Used parts included as part of a 2WD to Syncro conversion have a one year warranty. Extended warranties may available on some parts manufactured by us. If the vehicle cannot be returned to us for warranty service, repairs at another location should be authorized with us before the repairs are completed. Diagnosis is covered only when performed in our shop.