A complete kit of parts to convert your Vanagon to a smooth, powerful Subaru SVX 3.3L powerplant. This kit is a matched and proven kit of parts that takes the worry out of building a Subaru powered Vanagon. No scouring the internet, fabricating parts, or worrying about whether muffler "A" will fit with bracket "B". You will be rewarded with a finished conversion that looks and drives better than the original in every way - like it came from the VW-Subaru factory!
Why should you buy our parts?
- We install, service and personally use what we sell. After building over 300+ Subaru powered Vanagons, we have learned a lot about how to make them run well. From cooling systems to wiring harnesses, we have designed our products to get your Vanagon conversion up and running quickly and keep it performing well for years to come.
- Our parts allow you to install a Subaru engine and lose nothing of the original Vanagon's utility and great design. This includes having great ground clearance without the exhaust and other components hanging down below the engine, the ability to refit the Syncro skid plate, and built-in support for the muffler.
- Our cooling system has been refined to perform better than anything else available. Simple, easy to bleed, and a heater system that works at least as well as the original.
- It can be difficult to find all the right parts to make your Subaru powered Vanagon come to life. When you purchase our parts, we help your project come together quickly and successfully. For those who choose to buy a complete package from us, expect prompt, accurate replies to your questions. No one else offers anything close in design, performance, and support.
This kit includes:
- Exclusively from Small Car, aluminum alloy bellhousing complete with integrated slave/release bearing; read about its advantages here
- 321 Stainless Steel Header
- Gaskets: header to engine
- Flange for header connection
- Small Car’s powder coated engine mount with mounting hardware - specify Syncro when ordering
- Heavy duty muffler mounts and stainless clamps - specify muffler diameter when ordering
- Accelerator cable kit
- Coolant hose kit with clamps and stainless inlet and outlet pipes - designed for reversed coolant manifold
- Coolant reservoir bracket
The following should be purchased if you have a 1980-1985 Vanagon:
- 1986-1991 coolant reservoir
- 1986 and later style exhaust connector, J pipe
- 1983-85 original front-rear coolant pipes will require (1) hose reducer
The following optional parts are recommended for the models indicated:
- All power steering equipped Vanagons: power steering pressure hose or a quiet power steering pressure hose
- All engines: speed sensor kit
- Any Subaru engine in any Vanagon: flexible dipstick - allows checking of oil level from license plate door
- All Vanagons: stage 2 clutch kit, flywheel and bolts, manual transmission Subaru gear reduction starter
- All Vanagons: aluminum oil pan for better oil capacity with stock ground clearance (also allows refitting of the Syncro skid plate)
- Syncro Vanagons: SPE skid plate material - to extend the original skid plate
- All Vanagons: inner and outer engine mounts
- Any Vanagon as needed: Exhaust: Small Car Stainless Steel Exhaust Kits
- All Vanagons: gauge face
- All Subaru engines with oil cooler: oil cooler delete filter union
- For 1996-2011 engines: ScanGauge II Driving Computer
- For 1996-1997 engines: interface board to eliminate 7-8 common ECU fault codes
- Any combination: substitute our harness modification service for the harness modification kit $100 discount with parts kit above - harness modification
This kit is to install the following engines:
- SVX Subaru 3.3L: 1992-1997
Please note: While many orders ship within 48 hours, this item may require up to 15 days to process from your order date. If we cannot ship within 15 days, we will inform you by email or phone. For this item, which ships in more than one box, we will ship a partial order unless you specify otherwise.