To be blunt, the stock rear Vanagon drum brakes are barely adequate if you have a 2WD passenger van with stock tires, good pads and shoes. If you have a Syncro, a Westfalia, and especially a Syncro Westfalia - with upgraded wheels and tires, your stock brakes are just plain unsafe. Especially for emergency stops!
And when it comes time to replacing your brake pads because you've been putting on the miles, replacement parts are easily sourced and installed, and will be readily available well into the future.
With the installation of these larger vented rotors and upgraded calipers, your Vanagon's braking power goes from barely passable to amazing! Welcome to the 21st century.
Fits ALL years of Vanagons: 2WD & Syncro
16" wheels are required to clear the larger calipers
- Vented and Cross-Drilled Rotors (linked below)
- Installation requires machining the stock Vanagon hubs to fit the inside diameter od the rotor. Most automotive machine shops can perform this service however we will do it for you for free. You just ship us your hubs, we'll machine them, then ship them to you with the rest of your order.
- If you chose to have your hubs machined locally they must be machined to have an OD of 135 mm.
- Syncros will require one 2WD parking brake cable (linked below) for installation of the passenger side parking brake.
- The rotors are 4mm thicker than the stock Vanagon drums so the rear track of the wheel is increased by 8mm.
- You also lose 4mm of stud length which should not be a problem unless your studs are already too short because of wider wheels. If needed SCP's wheel studs (linked below) are here to help.
- These replace the stock rear studs to gain 10mm in thread length. This is enough to fit most after market wheels. Their effective length is 44.5mm compared to the stock 34.5mm.