These instructions are for the aluminum oil pan installation with the Small Car engine mount.
- Thoroughly clean the aluminum pan before installation.
- Drain the oil from the engine.
- Remove the dipstick tube from the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pan bolts.
- Support the right side of the engine from above or from below.
- Remove the two bolts holding the right side engine mount to the motor and the two bolts and nuts holding that
part to the back plate.
- Pry the oil pan loose from the engine and remove the oil pan and the engine mount part together.
- Clean the sealing surface on the bottom of the engine of sealing compound.
- Remove the oil pickup tube and install the tube that came with the aluminum pan. Don't forget to place a new
o-ring on the base of the pickup tube. 2010-12 Legacy will require taping the holes for the pickup securing
bolts, use the short original pan bolts. Tap size 6x1.0mm tap just enough be careful not to let metals fall
into the engine.
- Tighten the 6mm bolts to 7 lb/ft.
- Use an even coat of a silicone sealant like Permatex Ultra Grey on the sealing surface of the new pan.
- Place the round opening of the engine mount over the dipstick snout of the pan and install the oil pan using
the supplied 6mm bolts and washers. Torque to 7 lb/ft. (Note: Some bolt holes toward the front of the engine
block may not be tapped deep enough. If bolt bottom out use one extra washer provided on that bolt.)
- Reinstall the bolts and nuts for the engine mount. Torque to 40 lb/ft.
- Install new o-rings onto the dipstick tube and insert the tube into the pan. If you are using the stock dipstick
tube, it may be necessary to use washers or a spacer at the top mounting tab.
- Torque oil drain plug to 15 lb/ft.
- Pour in your new oil and note the position on your dipstick for future reference. We recommend a minimum of 4
quarts of oil and a maximum of 5 quarts.